Transferring Registrations

Transferring your registration plate

We have made your vehicle registration transfer process easy with our 7 Day Guarantee (as long as the registration mark qualifies and you have paid the relevant fee) and step-by-step.

You’ve got your new private car reg, congratulations! Now you just need it to be transferred to your vehicle.

This is where many people get stumped as they don’t know where to go from here. Don’t worry, most of the steps can be promptly and efficiently completed by British Car Registrations.. Remember, you may not legally display the new mark until the transfer process is completed, or you risk being fined by the DVLA. Read DVLA Private Plate regulations here.

Buying a Personalised New Reg Plate

First of all, buy the reg plate you want for your vehicle. We can help you buy your private and personalised car number plates from British Car Registrations.

Transferring – the process

So you have your new registration and all the necessary documentation to prove it is yours. Now it is time to start the transfer process.

Assigning your new reg plate:

To display your new registration on your vehicle, you will need to apply to the DVLA (in person at Swansea in South Wales, by post or online). Alternatively, if you are a busy person, British Car Registrations offers this service to remove the hassle for you.

The documents required to do this are detailed below:

  • the V750 certificate of entitlement or the V778 retention document signed by the person named on the top of the certificate.
  • the registration document (V5C) or the new keeper supplement with a completed V62 “application for a vehicle registration certificate V5C” form.
  • an MOT test certificate for vehicles over 3 years old (1 year for heavy goods vehicles)

If the vehicle to which the new marl is being assigned or transferred already has a private registration on it, this will need to be removed first or you could lose the rights to use it. However, this can be done at the same time as assigning your new private plate.

Remember, you cannot assign or transfer a registration mark to a vehicle that would have the effect or making the vehicle appear to be newer than it is.  It will need to be registered, or about to be registered, and taxed to be driven in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.


Adding a nominee 

You can add a nominee when assigning the registration number by completing the relevant section of the V750 or V778.

Transferring your registration number:



A V778 certificate of retention expires after 10 years and you’ll need to renew it in order to retain your private registration plate for a further 10 years. Read our Retention Guide 

Posted in FAQ's
Bargain Basement Buy Back Your Private Number Plate Contact Us