Transferring Registrations

How to complete your vehicle registration transfer

We have made your vehicle registration transfer process easy with our British Car Registrations 7 Day Guarantee and step-by-step.

Transferring your registration plate

You’ve got your new private car reg, congratulations! Now you just need to transfer it onto your vehicle. This is where many people get stumped as they don’t know where to go from here. Don’t worry, most of the steps can be completed by British Car Registrations within a matter of days with our 7 Day Transfer guarantee. Remember, you cannot drive legally until you have completed the reg transfer process, or you risk being fined by the DVLA. Read DVLA Private Plate regulations here.

Buying a personalised reg plate

First of all, buy the reg plate you want for your vehicle. We can help you buy your private and personalised car number plates from British Car Registrations. Follow our Car Reg Buying Guide.

Reg Transfers – the process

So you have your new reg and all the necessary documentation to prove it is yours. Now it is time to start the reg transfer process.

Assigning your new reg plate:

To display your new reg on your vehicle, you will need to apply to the DVLA. British Car Registrations offer this service to remove the hassle from the reg transfer process.

The documents required to do this are detailed below:

  • the V750 certificate of entitlment or the V778 retention document signed by the person named on the top of the certificate.
  • the log book (V5C) or the new keeper supplement with a completed V62 ‘application for a vehicle registration certificate V5C’ form.
  • an MOT test certificate for vehicles over 3 years old (1 year for heavy goods vehicles.

If the vehicle to which you want to transfer/assign the new registration already has a private registration registered to it, this will need to be removed first or you could lose the rights to use it. However, this can be done at the same time assigning your new private plate.  You can either retain the existing registration mark or transfer to another vehicle – the fee will be the same in both cases (£80) and the above documentation will be required for the receiving vehicle if you choose to transfer.  A completed V317 form will also be required.

Remember, when buying a registration, you cannot use a registration which would make the receiving vehicle look newer than it is.


Adding a nominee or taxing your vehicle when you assign the number:

You can add a nominee when assigning the registration number by completing section 2 of the V750 or V778

If you need to tax the vehicle at the same time you will need:

  • a completed V10 ‘application for a tax disc’
  • a certificate of insurance or a valid cover note for the vehicle.
  • a cheque for the correct vehicle tax

Renewing or updating your V750/V778

If you don’t assign your registration number to a vehicle and the certificate of entitlement or certificate of retention is about to run out you will be able renew it for up to 10 years.  If you fail to renew it you will risk losing the right to assign it to your vehicle at all.

Transferring your registration

The DVLA’s transfer fee to transfer a registration mark to another vehicle or to retention is £80.

At British Car Registrations, we can arrange either process for you.

Retaining your registration mark

Your V778 certificate of retention expires after 10 years and you’ll need to renew it in order to retain your private registration plate on retention for a further 10 years. Read our Retention Guide

Build Your Own – Guaranteed 7 Day Transfer

If you elect to buy with the guaranteed 7 day transfer service we will guarantee to transfer the registration mark to your vehicle within 7 working days of receiving your documents. If we fail to do so, we will refund the purchase price of the car registration but we will continue to supply you with the registration mark.  This service only applies to registration marks that are offered with this optional service and only if you choose the chargeable option.

Sell Your RegistrationBargain BasementOrder TrackingBuy Back Your Private Number PlateSign up to our NewsletterContact Us