Reg Transfers

Transferring your registration plate

We have made your vehicle registration transfer process easy with our 7 Day Guarantee and step-by-step.

You’ve got your new private car reg, congratulations! Now you just need to transfer it onto your vehicle.

This is where many people get stumped as they don’t know where to go from here. Don’t worry, most of the steps can be completed by British Car Registrations within a matter of days with our 7 Day Transfer guarantee. Remember, you cannot drive legally until you have completed the reg transfer process, or you risk being fined by the DVLA. Read DVLA Private Plate regulations here.

Buying a Personalised New Reg Plate

First of all, buy the reg plate you want for your vehicle. We can help you buy your private and personalised car number plates from British Car Registrations.

Reg Transfers – the process

So you have your new reg and all the necessary documentation to prove it is yours. Now it is time to start the reg transfer process.

Assigning your new reg plate:

To display your new reg on your vehicle, you will need to apply to the DVLA. British Car Registrations offer this service to remove the hassle from the reg transfer process.

The documents required to do this are detailed below:

  • the V750 certificate of entitlment or the V778 retention document signed by the person named on the top of the certificate.
  • the log book (V5C) or the new keeper suppliment with a completed V62 ‘application for a vehicle registration certificate V5C’ form.
  • an MOT test certificate for vehicles over 3 years old (1 year for heavy goods vehicles)

If the vehicle already had a private reg on it, this will need to be removed first or you could lose the rights to use it. However, this can be done at the same time assigning your new private plate.

Remember, when buying a reg plate, you can’t use a registration which makes the vehicle look newer than it is.

Remember, the vehicle that will bear the new reg will need to be registered, or about to be registered, and taxed to be driven in Great Britain.

Remember, if your vehicle is older than 1960, you will need a valid MOT certificate to assign the reg.

Adding a nominee or taxing your vehicle when you assign the number:

You can add a nominee when assigning the registration number by completing section 2 of the V750 or V778

If you need to tax the vehicle at the same time you will need:

  • a completed V10 ‘application for a tax disc’
  • a certificate of insurance or a valid cover note for the vehicle.
  • a cheque for the correct vehicle tax
  •  Renewing or updating your V750/V778

If you don’t assign your number to a vehicle and the certificate of entitlement is about to run out you will receive a reminder from us. You can renew it for up to 10 years – otherwise you will lose the right to assign it to your vehicle.


Renew your V750/V778FREE
Add or change nomineeFREE*
Change details or replace lost or stolen certificate£25*

Transferring your registration number:

For a DVLA fee of £80, you can transfer your current plate to a new vehicle. British Car Registrations include all DVLA transfer fees when you buy a private plate from us. This means you will not pay anything else when assigning your new reg.

If you don’t wish to transfer your registration to another vehicle, you can put it on retention, ready to transfer at a later date. Our customers use the services here at British Car Registrations to complete this process – all you need is your 11-digit reference number from your latest V5C. Read DVLA Transfer regulations.

Retaining your registration mark

Your V5C document expires after 10 years and you’ll need to renew it in order to retain your private registration plate for a further 10 years. Read our Retention Guide 

Tagged with: , , , , , , ,
Posted in FAQ's
Sell Your RegistrationBargain BasementOrder TrackingBuy Back Your Private Number PlateSign up to our NewsletterContact Us